NHS Scotland

Information for Applicants

Moving to Scotland

You'll find up to date details on what's required on the Talent Scotland website at : http://www.talentscotland.com/work/working but here are the main things to be aware of if you are applying for a job with NHSScotland from overseas. (as at 04/2016)

  • Check the person specification
    You will find a 'person specification' for all the Fellowships. This sets out the requirements you will need to have to be considered for the role. Make sure you have the relevant experience and qualifications before applying for a job. Only applicants who demonstrate clearly in their application form that they meet the essential criteria for the post will be considered for interview. For very popular posts, employers may only consider those applicants who also meet the desired criteria outlined on the person specification.
  • International recruitment of healthcare professionals
    NHSScotland follows the WHO code of practice for the international recruitment of healthcare professionals. This promotes the best possible standards in international recruitment, and discourages any inappropriate practices that could harm other countries' healthcare systems or the interests of those who apply for posts.
  • Professional registration
    All doctors intending to practise medicine in the UK are required to be registered with the GMC, follow the GMC's good medical practice guidance and be subject to the GMC Fitness to Practise actions. Doctors who hold registration but not a licence may be working as an academic or outside the UK. They cannot undertake any of the activities - clinical work - for which UK law requires them to hold a licence to practise.

Doctors who have never been registered with the GMC will have to apply for registration with a licence to practise. They will not be able to apply for registration without a licence.

The requirements for registration in the UK will depend on a number of factors:

  • your nationality
  • the country in which you gained your primary medical qualification
  • the type of work you want to do
  • whether or not you have completed a period of post-graduate training or an internship

First you should check that you possess an acceptable primary medical qualification to apply for registration. If you are in any doubt you should check your qualifications status with the GMC.

In addition, international medical graduates will be required to demonstrate their medical knowledge and skills, and all applicants may have to demonstrate they are competent in using the English language before they are registered. The GMC website has information about applying to join the register to help you assess the type of registration you may be eligible to apply for.

Being registered with the GMC does not guarantee that you will find employment within the UK.

Non-European Economic Area nationals

If you are not a UK/EEA national you will also need to meet the requirements of UK Visas and Immigration regulations to gain the right to enter and work in UK.

Right to work in the UK

A points-based system is the UK's immigration system for managing applications by individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland wishing to work, train or study in the UK. This system simplifies routes to employment and education in the UK to five tiers. If you come from outside the EEA, you need to gain points to qualify for a specific tier before you can apply to work in the UK. The number of points required varies for each tier but reflect the applicants' qualifications, experience, age, previous earnings and language competence.

Tier 2: skilled workers. This category enables NHS organisations to recruit individuals from outside the EEA to fill vacancies that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker.

Tier 4: students. UK education providers will act as the sponsor for students from outside the UK or EEA. If accepted for study you will be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). All students will need a visa to enter the UK, which also allows you to work part time during term time and full time during vacations.

Tier 5: temporary workers. The temporary worker category of tier 5 allows NHS organisations to employ you if you are from outside the EEA for up to 24 months as part of a government-authorised exchange programme.

Are you eligible?

The number of points required and the way points are awarded depends on the tier you are applying under, but will reflect your qualifications, experience, age, previous earnings and language competence.

You can check if you have enough points to qualify for a particular tier by carrying out a self assessment of your eligibility online on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

Information about the points-based system is available on the UKVI website and may be subject to change. You are advised to check the website to establish which route of entry you are eligible to apply for. It is your responsibility to check this before applying.

Under the points-based system, the UKVI will decide who is admitted or allowed to stay in the UK. To assess this, you will need to provide evidence of a sponsor in the UK who is licensed by the UKVI. NHS Education for Scotland is the sponsor for NHSScotland International Medical Training Fellowships (Tier 2).

Relocation Policies

All the health boards have individual relocation policies so please check the relevant board for the post you are interested in.


Bogus Job Offers

NHSScotland Counter Fraud Services has received intelligence in relation to risks to individuals who are seeking employment in the National Health Service (NHS) across the UK.

Both home and foreign nationals receive unsolicited emails offering NHS jobs in the UK, including Scotland. The objective of such job offers is to trick job seekers into paying advance fees (supposedly for an International Worker’s Certificate and Registration Card).

Applicants receive the bogus job offers via email with scanned appointment letters, work confirmation, and employment contracts from well known UK employers. Applicants then contact the UK employer, who is unaware of the job offer.

The applicants are later sent instructions to contact specified travel agencies, immigration firms, and solicitors in the UK, who would purportedly assist them in the processing of their work permits and visas (International Worker’s Certificate and Registration Card).

Individuals seeking work in the NHS in Scotland should only engage with official Human Resource Departments in relation to gaining employment. Individuals should not, under any circumstances, make advance payments to unsolicited agencies or companies who make employment offers by email, for work within the NHS in Scotland.

Contact details for Human Resource departments can be obtained by contacting the relevant health board or visiting their website.