NHS Scotland

Scottish International Medical Training Fellowships

Our workforce is diverse, multinational and multicultural - reflecting the people of Scotland. We want the best for our patients and go beyond the UK and Europe to attract the best talent. In return we offer good working conditions, pay and an attractive standard of living. Working for NHSScotland means joining one of Scotland's largest employers, with a long history of excellent medical innovation and a tradition of health care free at the point of delivery based on medical need.

Applications are particularly welcome from doctors from outside the UK for the International Medical Training Fellowships.

The Scottish International Medical Training Fellowships offer a unique opportunity to develop and share your skills with other motivated doctors as part of an internationally renowned service. The posts are designed for doctors who have completed or are close to completing training in their home nation and allow you to experience working within Scotland's NHS while furthering your own expertise. Working under the supervision of experienced trainers within NHSScotland in key clinical areas, the International Fellowship posts offer exciting opportunities to gain experience and develop specialist interests following completion of formal training. Nationally agreed educational components of the post allow applicants to agree relevant and beneficial educational outcomes, after appointment. Opportunities are available in the following specialities:


Plastic Surgery


NHS Lothian



Old Age Psychiatry


NHS Highland

NHS Ayrshire & Arran 


Oesophogastric Surgery


NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde



Emergency Medicine


NHS Lanarkshire (3 posts)



General (Adult) Psychiatry 


NHS Ayrshire & Arran


Colorectal Surgery


NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde



Pancreatic Biliary Surgery


NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde



Transplant Surgery


NHS Lothian 





NHS Fife



OMFS Head & Neck Oncology& Reconstructive Surgery


NHS Lothian



Obstetrics & Gynaecology


NHS Highland



Acute & General Medicine


NHS Highland (2 posts)



Stroke Medicine, General Adult Medicine & Older Adult Medicine


NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

















Salary Scale: £32157 to £50563 p.a.

Closing Date: various - see individual post details for closing dates                 


Being a doctor in NHSScotland

Watch a video by doctors in approved training, and from our Chief Medical Officer Dr Catherine Calderwood (https://youtu.be/1zWFVlVjuGM) and read her Annual Report which has had world wide interest.

You can also find out a lot about working in the NHS in Scotland on Scotland's Health on the Web (SHOW) including the 70th anniversary of the NHS, and where to find hospitals, dentists, GPs and other services.




Living in Scotland

To find out more about Scotland, and what it can offer as a place to work, stay and visit, go to http://www.scotland.org/ the official gateway to Scotland.

Working in Scotland

Here are the main things to be aware of if you are applying for a job with NHSScotland from overseas.

  • Check the person specification
    You will find a 'person specification' for all the Fellowships. This sets out the requirements you will need to have to be considered for the role. Make sure you have the relevant experience and qualifications before applying for a job. Only applicants who demonstrate clearly in their application form that they meet the essential criteria for the post will be considered for interview. For very popular posts, employers may only consider those applicants who also meet the desired criteria outlined on the person specification.
  • International recruitment of healthcare professionals
    NHSScotland follows the WHO code of practice for the international recruitment of healthcare professionals. This promotes the best possible standards in international recruitment, and discourages any inappropriate practices that could harm other countries' healthcare systems or the interests of those who apply for posts.
  • Professional registration
    All doctors intending to practise medicine in the UK are required to be registered with the GMC, follow the GMC's good medical practice guidance and be subject to the GMC Fitness to Practise actions. Doctors who hold registration but not a licence may be working as an academic or outside the UK. They cannot undertake any of the activities - clinical work - for which UK law requires them to hold a licence to practise.

Doctors who have never been registered with the GMC will have to apply for registration with a licence to practise. They will not be able to apply for registration without a licence.

The requirements for registration in the UK will depend on a number of factors:

  • your nationality
  • the country in which you gained your primary medical qualification
  • the type of work you want to do
  • whether or not you have completed a period of post-graduate training or an internship

First you should check that you possess an acceptable primary medical qualification to apply for registration. If you are in any doubt you should check your qualifications status with the GMC.

In addition, international medical graduates will be required to demonstrate their medical knowledge and skills, and all applicants may have to demonstrate they are competent in using the English language before they are registered. The GMC website has information about applying to join the register to help you assess the type of registration you may be eligible to apply for.

Being registered with the GMC does not guarantee that you will find employment within the UK.

Non-European Economic Area nationals

If you are not a UK/EEA national you will also need to meet the requirements of UK Visas and Immigration regulations to gain the right to enter and work in UK. Please visit the UKVI Visa page to get up to date information on whether you will need a visa to work here. EEA nationals should visit the UKVI Settled Status pages if they are already working and living in the UK. Further guidance for EEA nationals living outside the UK will be linked as it becomes available, but will be posted on the UKVI pages.

Right to work in the UK

A points-based system is the UK's immigration system for managing applications by individuals from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland wishing to work, train or study in the UK. This system simplifies routes to employment and education in the UK to five tiers. If you come from outside the EEA, you need to gain points to qualify for a specific tier before you can apply to work in the UK. The number of points required varies for each tier but reflect the applicants' qualifications, experience, age, previous earnings and language competence.

Tier 2: skilled workers. This category enables NHS organisations to recruit individuals from outside the EEA to fill vacancies that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker.

Tier 4: students. UK education providers will act as the sponsor for students from outside the UK or EEA. If accepted for study you will be issued with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). All students will need a visa to enter the UK, which also allows you to work part time during term time and full time during vacations.

Tier 5: temporary workers. The temporary worker category of tier 5 allows NHS organisations to employ you if you are from outside the EEA for up to 24 months as part of a government-authorised exchange programme.

Are you eligible?

The number of points required and the way points are awarded depends on the tier you are applying under, but will reflect your qualifications, experience, age, previous earnings and language competence.

You can check if you have enough points to qualify for a particular tier by carrying out a self assessment of your eligibility online on the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website.

Information about the points-based system is available on the UKVI website and may be subject to change. You are advised to check the website to establish which route of entry you are eligible to apply for. It is your responsibility to check this before applying.

Under the points-based system, the UKVI will decide who is admitted or allowed to stay in the UK. To assess this, you will need to provide evidence of a sponsor in the UK who is licensed by the UKVI. NHS Education for Scotland is the sponsor for NHSScotland International Medical Training Fellowships (Tier 2).

Relocation Policies

All the health boards have individual relocation policies so please check the relevant board for the post you are interested in.

NHS Ayrshire & Arran

NHS Fife

NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

NHS Highland

NHS Lanarkshire

NHS Lothian